"A prayer burning with incense". Beth Levin





Beth Levin


1.

I want to write a poem in Spanish
the words curling up at the ends
hinting at amor

I'd walk through a fountain
and pen the wettest words
On cobblestone streets write verses
ancient shadows exuding from each step

I want to write a poem on a train
stick my head out the window
catch the air the motion
write a poem about everyman
and everywoman in a language of soul
walk through a museum and put
Matisse down in a notebook

I want to write a Sunday poem
a prayer burning with incense
so that a poem on Monday
would shine and fly to the paper



2.

Get up in the dark
feel for my pants and shoes
coffee offers false hope
the eyes not responding

Mustard pillars below ground
Wet Paint
voices travel the cold tiles
(mustard gas a possibility they say)

Stand the whole way
feel for my music
reading “Esme” miss my stop



3.

An Old, Old Poem
I live alone
Lulu cat strides the piano
sprick-spack sprick-sprack
One blue eye one green

My dreams have fled
I am content
laugh to myself
knowing the secrets truth kept
from desire

I fry two eggs in the iron skillet
butter stings the surface
bubbles dancing
eggs combust with butter
balloon out here and there
before becoming an omelet

At night wrapped in a patterned shawl
I rummage old letters with a Florentine eye
My lovers sweet cool
demanding unselfish

I spy a nuthatch
Woo-ee-ah Woo-ee-ah
all the day long

Death does not trouble
I hope he takes me
sitting at the window
staring at wild thyme



4.

If I had a cat
I'd name it Basho
whose words so long ago
were lithe
and artfully wrought

Kitty kitty come and lap sweet milk
from this bowl
an imperceptible crack

On the whole
I'd prefer a kitty named Basho
yes and no, no- yes!



5.

The Caregiver.

The heat of the morning
I set a woven tray by your bed
coffee toast slightly charred
blackberry jam
A relentless sun
Rain would be lovely
hearts need a cooling off
My sundress is cool
tucan- patterned
Carribean New York City
1975
You and I
You were married we waited 
in love a little older
You gave me jade sea pearls
kisses for nothing
I relive it
Too soon your body gave way,
sudden incurable
Sweet, I will come in a moment
to bathe you in raindrops
a cool washcloth of tears
to relieve you


6.

Voyeur

Years ago I see this man
walking down the street
just a few seconds an impression
but I remember him clearly
he walked with a limp
his face quick changing from bemusement to anger
from secrecy to open heartedness
he walks in to a smoke shop
I almost follow but stay behind
preferring the stance of the voyeur
You carry with you an aura of tenderness
and I have deep empathy for you
You could be my grandfather whom I never met
You could be a rebbi from the neighborhood
who taught the kids their bar mitzvah lessons
You could be one of the dead of the Holocaust
or one in the pogroms
Did I see you in World at War as they were panning
the bombed cities of Poland and Hungary?
this was a long time ago and it all happened in an instant.

Beth Levin

No hay comentarios

Con la tecnología de Blogger.